Before and After School Program
The YMCA Before & After School Program is a licensed child care program that offers children ages 4 to 12 a fun and safe way to begin and end every school day.
We know children thrive in an environment where everyone belongs and can explore, learn and have fun together. That’s what you’ll find at your YMCA child care program.
Your YMCA offers Before and After School programs at participating Bluewater District School Board and Bruce-Grey Catholic Schools for children in Junior Kindergarten (JK) to Grade 6. To fill the gaps after the bell rings, you’ll find unique YMCA programming in Owen Sound and surrounding areas, Hanover, Port Elgin, Kincardine, and Ripley.
- Designed for children in Junior Kindergarten through to Grade 6 (aged 4 to 12)
- Program follows the YMCA A Place to Connect™ Curriculum
- Small group ratios and flexible choice of days
- Special programming on PD Days, March Break and holidays (programs are announced per location when available)
- Nutritious snacks following Canada Food Guide
- Children are actively engaged with Registered Early Childhood Educators to create program plans based on children’s interests
- Program provides opportunities for a minimum of 30 minutes of daily physical activity in safe, healthy environments that encourage and guide children to develop friendships
- Program provides opportunities for leadership development and helping children learn new skills
- Opportunities for homework assistance
- Fun, club-like environment that promotes a sense of belonging, with opportunities for children to discover more about themselves and their community
- Lots of physical activities, games and outdoor play to help them wind down after school
Promoting health, safety, nutrition and well being:
- Safe supervision of children
- Child Protection procedures and training
- Sanitation and disinfection procedures
- Menu planning following Canada Food Guide
- Communicable disease prevention
- Emergency procedures
- Safe Food Handling training
- Standard First Aid and CPR training
- WHMIS and Health & Safety training
- Accessibility for Ontarios with Disabilities Act (AODA) training
Learn more by reviewing our Parent Handbook below.
YMCA A Place to Connect™ Curriculum
YMCA research shows that children flourish in programs that are structured to let them shape their experience by providing opportunities for choice and leadership with a focus on strengths and the development of skills and relationships. This knowledge is how our curriculum was born. Staff receive comprehensive, on-going training that supports their existing knowledge and experience, and this training helps YMCAs across Canada to provide high-quality and consistent programs.