Full Time Permanent
Job Posting #: 2022-55
The City of Owen Sound is seeking experienced and qualified applicants for the permanent full-time role of Deputy Clerk. The Deputy Clerk will work with the Clerk to ensure that all functions required by the Statutes of Ontario, or directed by Council are carried out and to act in place and stead of the Clerk in their absence with regard to issues related to this department. The Deputy Clerk will coordinate with the Clerk the functions of Council, and Committees, and will be the administrator for the River District Board of Management. The Deputy Clerk will perform the duties of the Secretary-Treasurer for the Committee of Adjustment and will be responsible for administering all aspects of the operation of the Committee of Adjustment in accordance with the Planning Act, Municipal Act, and the Statutory Powers Procedure Act. The Deputy Clerk will manage the contract for Animal Control. The Deputy Clerk will also assist with Municipal Elections, By-law Enforcement, Records Management, Business Licensing and Civil Marriages.
Owen Sound is a diverse and culturally rich community located on the southern shores of Georgian Bay in Southern Ontario, approximately two hours north of Toronto, and on the doorstep of the Bruce Peninsula. Owen Sound is the largest urban community in Grey and Bruce counties characterized by a magnificent harbour and bay, two winding rivers, tree-lined streets, an extensive parks system, and tree-covered hillsides and ravines. The City of Owen Sound municipal offices are located in the City’s historic downtown core. Urban convenience is reconciled with balanced lifestyle in this welcoming, vibrant and growing community. Enjoy visits to galleries, library, theatres, museums, festivals, local shopping and dining right outside the doors of City Hall.
The successful candidate will have a university degree in Public Administration, Legal Services, Government, Political Science, Law, or equivalent education and experience. Completion of AMCTO Municipal Administration Program and Municipal Law Program are considered assets. Professional designation through AMCTO is preferred. Four (4) to six (6) years of progressive, related and demonstrated experience in a municipal government or similar setting are required.
- Thorough knowledge of municipal legislation/regulations, government structure and systems including the Municipal Act, Municipal Elections Act, Planning Act, Statutory Powers Procedure Act, Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and related legislation
- Ability to interpret municipal policies and procedures and provincial legislation at a high level
- Demonstrated leadership skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, with high accuracy, excellent interpersonal, organizational, public relations, and writing skills with the ability to prioritize in a multi-tasking environment and adhere to time constraints
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Pleasant, courteous and tactful personality
- Knowledge of TOMRMS and City’s agenda management software considered an asset
- Ability to work with confidential/sensitive information while maintaining the highest degree of confidentiality at all times
- Ability to think and act appropriately, with tactfulness and diplomacy, in a political and community service environment and to deal courteously and effectively with elected officials, the general public, residents, staff, other departmental, corporate contacts, businesses and other levels of government
- A criminal record and vulnerable sector check is required of the successful candidate
- A valid G driver’s licence and access to a vehicle is required
Please note the City is currently undergoing a Corporate-Wide Service Level Review, therefore potential reporting alignment or the duties and accountabilities are subject to modification.
The annual salary range for this position is $72,492 -$88,404 and the City offers a comprehensive employer-paid Extended Health & Dental program and OMERS pension. To explore this opportunity further, we invite applicants to forward their resume and cover letter by Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 4:30pm to:
Human Resources Manager
City of Owen Sound
The City of Owen Sound is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, valuing and respecting diversity. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. We will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians Disabilities Act, in all aspects of the hiring process, upon request. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act and will only be used for candidate selection.