Minds in Motion
A physical activity and brain stimulation program for people with dementia and their care partners.
Through Minds in Motion®, people living with early to mid-stage dementia will experience meaningful and beneficial socialization and stimulation through a number of appropriate activities. Operated by the Alzheimer Society of Grey-Bruce, this program runs once a week for eight weeks at our YMCA of Owen Sound Grey Bruce, as well as other community centres in Hanover, Markdale, Southampton and Meaford.
To register or learn more, contact the Alzheimer Society Grey Bruce at 519-376-7230
Through the Minds in Motion® program, both the person living with dementia and the caregiver can benefit from the following:
- Gentle and easy-to-follow physical activities.
- Fun social activities focused on building personal skills.
Who can participate?
- Minds in Motion® participants have early to mid-stage signs of dementia and are accompanied by their caregivers.
- In some circumstances individuals register on their own.
- A maximum of 11 couples, or 22 participants, enrolled in each eight-week program.
- Each pair pays a minimal registration fee (fees may vary).
The person living with dementia benefits from…
- Improved balance, mobility, flexibility, and alertness.
- Increased confidence, and comfort with their own circumstance.
- Mutual support from others facing similar experiences.
The care partner benefits from…
- An opportunity to focus on their own health, and have fun with their partner.
- Seeing the person they are caring for enjoying themselves.
- Mutual support and learning from other care partners.
All participants benefit from…
- Sharpened mental functioning, sometimes lasting two to three days.
- An increased sense of social participation.