Minds in Motion
A physical activity and brain stimulation program for people with dementia and their care partners.
Through Minds in Motion®, people living with early to mid-stage dementia will experience meaningful and beneficial socialization and stimulation through a number of appropriate activities. Operated by the Alzheimer Society of Grey-Bruce, this program runs once a week for eight weeks at our YMCA of Owen Sound Grey Bruce, as well as other community centres in Hanover, Markdale, Southampton and Meaford.
Through the Minds in Motion® program, both the person living with dementia and the caregiver can benefit from the following:
- Gentle and easy-to-follow physical activities.
- Fun social activities focused on building personal skills.
Who can participate?
- Minds in Motion® participants have early to mid-stage signs of dementia and are accompanied by their caregivers.
- In some circumstances individuals register on their own.
- A maximum of 11 couples, or 22 participants, enrolled in each eight-week program.
- Each pair pays a minimal registration fee (fees may vary).
The person living with dementia benefits from…
- Improved balance, mobility, flexibility, and alertness.
- Increased confidence, and comfort with their own circumstance.
- Mutual support from others facing similar experiences.
The care partner benefits from…
- An opportunity to focus on their own health, and have fun with their partner.
- Seeing the person they are caring for enjoying themselves.
- Mutual support and learning from other care partners.
All participants benefit from…
- Sharpened mental functioning, sometimes lasting two to three days.
- An increased sense of social participation.